4 Surefire Ways to Optimise Your Email Campaigns
Posted by Excollective on Nov 24, 2015
A recent article from The Guardian emphasised that people tend to see most email marketing campaigns as spam mail and the end result is them ultimately unsubscribing. As the author put it, lazy email marketing is ‘death by spam’ by killing consumer interest in your latest product and service offers.
Here are some ways you can improve your email marketing campaigns to boost lead conversion and help your brand, products and/or services to survive:
1. Make your subject lines compelling
According to data gathered by HubSpot1, 33% of recipients open emails based on the subject line alone. Simply put, your subject line should not be perceived as spam. Here are some helpful stats to guide you to boost open rates:
- Avoid these words: “You”, “Quick”, “Meeting”, “Fw:”, “Newsletter” and “Monthly.”
- Consider using these instead: “Free”, “Tomorrow”, “Alert”, “Re:”, “Daily/Weekly” and “Sale/New/Video.”
- Using 30 characters or less results in an above average open rate.
- When optimising for mobile users, consider that subject lines with only 1 to 2 words improve open rate by 15%.
- Personalised subject lines increase open rate by approximately 22.2%
- Urgency and exclusivity communicated through the subject line alone can boost open rates by 22%
- Use the recommended words above in context for emails not to be perceived as keyword stuffing – communicate the gist of your email along with these words.
2. A/B test your email campaigns
A/B testing is usually done on landing pages, but it can also be used for email campaigns, such as for subject lines, images, sender fields, offer format, CTA headline/copy/image, link placing in the copy, etc. To know which elements you are to add or modify, here are some elements to consider during the actual A/B testing:
- A/B Test Description: Identify the metrics to be tested.
- Result Tracking: Record numbers for total emails sent, delivered, open rate, total clicks and leads generated.
- Summary: Identify the variations that were successful in your particular email and apply to succeeding campaigns.
3. Customise your templates
Templates, in essence, are just guides with standard elements that should be present – and you can always customise them according to the goals and needs of your email campaigns. Adjust the messaging, copy/design layouts, timing and frequency of sending. Optimising the minutest of details can make your emails more personalised and compelling!
4. Map and plan content according to customer profile at every stage of the sales funnel
Congratulations on having your emails opened—but is it enough for people not to unsubscribe? Content is still king! If you are advertising an event or a new product/service, make the content informative, educational and something that would make potential and existing leads connect the solution you are offering to a problem they are experiencing. Align your content to the stages of the sales funnel: awareness, interest, consideration, intent, evaluation and purchase.
Don’t let haphazard email marketing planning and strategies be the death of your communication with your customers. Consider these tips and implement them in your campaigns. If you need guidance, consult with a digital marketing agency to optimise and organise your email campaigns in no time!
Ensure that your email marketing campaigns work to achieve qualified leads! If you need help with your campaign strategies, give exco a holler and we’d be more than happy to help you out!
1. 19 Eye-Opening Subject Line Stats That Will Supercharge your Email Open rates. Hubspot. http://blog.hubspot.com/sales/powerful-subject-line-stats-that-will-supercharge-your-open-rates